Unity Makes Strength, Disunity Makes Us (part one)

To finish the theme of the previous two classes and complete a peculiar trilogy, I am going to draw few final lines on the question of relations between people inside and outside the same boundary. I find it illogical, though explainable, when we tend to accept and behave to each other as foreigners rather than kindred, as belonging to different worlds rather than a common one, and experiencing different problems rather than sharing common fate and destiny, only that we follow different paths to outlive it.

When it is a point of personal choice, to leave losing your faith or to go seek for another, what makes us disrespect each other’s choices and thus alienate?! Do you agree that at various stages in our past and for various reasons in our present, disunity comes to be a prominent feature of our common history?! I shall even state that we use to divide in moments we need to be united and force on unification when we have the right to be ourselves and act as individuals.

Dividing and consolidating are two opposite-sounding on first sight parts of one and the same process. Logically thinking you will ascertain that whenever having a process of consolidation, grouping among certain amount of individuals, it leads inevitably to separation, dividing from the rest; no matter how real or fictive, on purpose or idealistic, with “good” or “bad” intentions that process is. It stirs my mind, what makes people divide (respectively group)?! Is it instinctive or an act of consciousness?!

CLASS OF ’06

track >> PLAY
band >> dire straits
lyrics >> brothers in arms

If anterior times have found some objective reasons for people consolidating to protect from malicious intruding or threatening, respectively dividing or separating into formations and therefore achieving ability to possess and rule through or over them, then are these processes of the past still alive in our present?! To what extent they are naturally stimulated or come predominantly on purpose hiding under fictive causes?!

Most of the threatening of modern times comes from tendencies and phenomena opposing to the similarly modern processes of increasing people’s recognition in the direction of tolerance, humanity, acceptance of others, free movement, communication, relation and policy of general respect. Such tendencies and phenomena as nationalism (in its human-centrifugal formats), chauvinism, discrimination, racism, xenophobia, separatism, fundamentalism…

Is it fear, the foundation of such leanings or gaps in human personalities and their self-identification?! And is the fear that leads to the need of identifying with certain others, if fictive or subjective, not a consequence of the disability for personal identification?!

At this point it is important to make distinction that this particular topic is not about peaceful in their nature and motives formations among people based on common interests and beliefs as well as their natural need to connect and interact with other “soul-mates” to express and share what moves them on mutual bases, seeking and finding understanding, exchanging information and knowledge, forming societies and cultures, and being not disrespectful and/or obstructive to others’ similar ones. Such needs come namely from achieved ability to truly recognize one’s individuality and interests.

The article emphasizes on necessities to recognize through a certain group or other types of divisions at all costs which I can see as inability to define one’s self as and through their own selves. Moreover, when in such consolidations there is leaning to intolerance, aggression and means by force towards others outside it, I can see it as lapse of achieving one’s internal peace, resulting from uneasiness that namely lack of personal identification can stir inside oneself.

If I begin with thinking of “myself” case, I can say I can only truly feel belonging to a group of people if my family. It is unconscious and I can find it based on nothing else more than my indisputable love towards them. Even when it comes to consciousness I still agree to admit my belonging. I can see myself quite clearly identified among them, I can see the differences and similarities between me and them, and despite these differences, and not because of the similarities I can determine my family is my people. It comes less of the fact of our common origin than it is more because I am bounded to them through my love. I can recognize this feeling inside myself namely because I love them. We share very strong connection between ourselves on this foundation and we call this home.

Continued here…

No comments:

Post a Comment